Friday, September 9, 2011

For Jade Bettin-

After a very successful 1st Annual Cupcake Day at PlayMakers, I came home and decided I needed to sketch for Jade Bettin - one of my new dearest friends and fellow co-worker. She made some amazing cupcakes and is in the process of constructing a gorgeous low bustle gown for "In The Next Room". I called Jade to discuss the constraints of her design. She decided that she should have a look to wear to an opening night at PlayMakers. She loves sassy dresses, and I do to. I knew that I should offer her options, so I came up with 3 individual looks!

The first look is an over the top winter look inspired by Carolina Herrera. I opted for a wrap jacket with a a dramatic fur collar and a mermaid silhouette skirt. The second look is more casual. I drew inspiration from an American sweater circa 1895 and opted for a wide leg fall front trouser to inspire a masculine yet feminine look. I could see Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, or Jade Bettin in this look - alot of masculine details but executed in subtle knits and flowing wools. I decided the third look needed to be an exciting party dress. I love a classic shirt dress, and I put my own design spin on it. I took a classic men's shirt - reversed the look, and created a youthful backless party showstopper!

Overall, I am satisfied with my progress, and I cannot wait to begin my work on "Follies". I will most likely take on another client to design for before approaching the design of "Follies". I think I still need to improve on faces and hands, but I am ecstatic with the progress I have made in the past two days. The more I work - the closer I will be to continuing my rendering capabilities that I had in graduate school. Slow and steady.

Enjoy the works I have created and let me know what you think! I love feedback - be it negative, positive, or mixed.



1 comment:

  1. Adam--I like your very clean drawing style, and your inventive designs! Your sketches would be very easy to work from.

    ReplyDelete